Managing large projects at BAE Systems Australia isn't for the faint-hearted. The challenges are varied, complex and testing. And they're different. Every day.
So when your ideas are listened to and you see them come to life, the experience is so much richer.
That works for me. Find out if it works for you.
Maritime Safety Assurance Manager
• Experienced maritime safety professional required for maritime sustainment program
• Ensure best practice across all aspects of enterprise safety
• Garden Island, Sydney location
The future is bright at BAE Systems. We have been selected as the Managing Contractor for the designated Guided Missile Destroyer (DDG) sustainment program.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be a part of an innovative solution. We are building something great, a model for the future, and a new standard of excellence.
Highly collaborative and agile in approach, we are engaging, consultative and solutions focused; we are looking for likeminded professionals to join our team.
As a member of our team, you'll enjoy competitive benefits, family friendly and flexible work practices, interesting work, unique career development opportunities and a culture that is built on trust, teamwork and pride in what we do.
In this role you will ensure that the enterprise meets safety and environmental policies and the agreed Enterprise Safety Management System is put in place. In addition, you will provide best practice, definitive advice, analysis and evidence to the delegated engineering and technical authorities to assist them in making decisions on safety.
You will make your mark by:
• Maintaining the DDG Safety Case and its underpinning ship and shore based facility safety case reports
• Developing and maintaining the enterprise System Safety Program Plan and implementing its strategies and goals, ensuring alignment to ABR6303 Edition 5 Navy Safety Manual
• Interfacing with regulators to ensure that the safety case and safety case reports for all products comply with the Navy Technical Regulatory System (NTRS)
• Establishing, managing and coordinating the Enterprise System Safety Working Group and hazard identification activities using established platform/group safety management forums
• Liaising with suppliers and contractors and managing safety related activities, particularly engineering change
• Supporting the management of the transition into operation, maintenance and operation of the fleet of DDG vessels under the Managing Contractor contract
As the ideal applicant, you will have:
• Extensive direct engineering experience, preferably in a Defence environment
• Experience in undertaking a safety engineering program based on MIL-STD-882, or DEF STAN 00-56
• Extensive experience in the use of Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA), or similar analysis tools
• Tertiary qualifications in engineering or related scientific discipline
• Chartered Professional Engineer status or commitment to obtain within 12 months of appointment
• Practical experience in all aspects of the systems development lifecycle
• Demonstrated understanding of systems engineering as described in EIA-632, or similar standard
• Sound understanding of Dynamic Object Orientated Requirements System (DOORS)
• Proven experience in effective liaison with customers and sub-contractors on technical and safety related issues
• Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Applications should be addressed to Donna Dittmar, Recruitment Specialist.
Please ensure you attach a current resume and copy of your relevant qualification(s) to your application. A cover letter is preferred.
At BAE Systems you will find support for training and development, competitive benefits and family friendly, flexible work practices in addition to a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
BAE Systems Australia employees are encouraged to refer others for employment in line with the conditions of the Employee Referral Scheme.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: