Mechanical Engineer | NSW-Garden Island
|Attachments:|| Mechanical Engineer Professional_PD260_09_G6.pdf (PDF, 105KB)
|Application Close Date:||21-Feb-2018|
- State of the art Navy platform; The Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD)
- Excellent career opportunity
- Garden Island, Potts Point location with complimentary bus service to and from the CBD
Passionate people work at BAE Systems Australia and the team contributes to something really big – the Defence of Australia. The Maritime Sustainment business provides comprehensive through-life-support services for naval and marine ships and systems with sites in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
As the Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for recommendations, the design and development of mechanical systems and/or equipment in accordance with the contractual and company requirements in order to improve the availability and maintainability of the Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) Class of vessels.
In more specific terms you will:
- Provide general engineering support to BAE Systems maintenance and supply services
- Conduct ship and part inspections and conduct technical investigations
- Assess and report all issues associated with the LHD Systems and assist BAE Systems with the interpretation and resolution
- Expedite technical queries, sourcing of technical data and Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
- Maintain technical lines of communication with the Original Equipment Manufacturer and global support networks
- Provide advice regarding the correct interpretation of operator and maintenance procedures
- Ensure all documents and artefacts generated are completed and in accordance with the appropriate standard procedures and work instructions including compliance with the product change management and quality control environment
- Undertake the integration, verification and validation of systems, including defining test requirements
- Monitor failure trends and technical advice from the Original Equipment Manufacturer and propose improvements to the LHD TISSC maintenance procedures and techniques in order to enhance the operational availability of the ships mechanical systems
- Contribute to process improvement and undertake additional tasks as assigned
As the ideal candidate, you will have:
- A degree qualification in mechanical/structural engineering and satisfy the requirements for membership of the Institute of Engineers Australia
- Significant experience as mechanical engineer, preferably in a defence and/or maritime environment, with knowledge of Classification Societies Requirements
- An ability to manage and prioritise your own activities to meet project schedules and deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills along with well - developed interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with other engineers, technical officers and drafts people
- Computer literate in contemporary engineering application software
- Eligible to obtain defence security clearance, ITAR and technical delegation
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Applications should be addressed to: Adrien Kingsley – Recruitment Specialist. Please ensure you attach a current resume and copy of your relevant qualification(s) to your application. A cover letter is preferred.
At BAE Systems, we have a strong safety, health and environmental culture; employee safety and well-being is a top priority. We also maintain a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion and to training and development, offer competitive benefits and enjoy a family friendly work place with flexible work practices.
BAE Systems Australia employees are encouraged to refer others for employment in line with the conditions of the Employee Referral Scheme.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html