Electro-Optic Specialist | SA-Edinburgh Parks
|Attachments:|| Production Engineer Practitioner_PD287_09_G5.pdf (PDF, 96KB)
Electro Optics Duty Statement.pdf (PDF, 193KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-Apr-2018|
- Join a company that values innovative ideas and flexible work practices
- Become our Electro Optics expert in the defence industry
- Based in Edinburgh Parks, SA
At BAE Systems, our advanced defence technology protects people and national security, and keeps critical information and infrastructure secure. For over 60 years we have searched for new ways to provide our customers in Australia with a competitive edge across the air, maritime, land and cyber domains.
Due to growth, we have a unique opportunity for an Engineer or Scientist to provide support in the Electro-Optic / Electronic Warfare domain.
In terms of more specific responsibilities, you will:
- Support production, maintenance and repair of mid-IR pulsed laser product line, including characterisation and testing of mid-IR laser output properties
- Assist with ensuring laboratory areas/production equipment is calibrated and available for utilisation to support the laser product stream (above)
- Contribute to customer based projects including problem solving, design and review of artefacts for Electro-optic projects in the visible to IR spectrum (potentially involving low light sensing, tracking, optical design, etc)
- Develop and conduct technical investigations in consultation with engineering staff as required
- Develop and deliver technical reports for off-site work or technical investigations
- Assist with development of Minor Bids, including direct coordination with procurement staff and answering technical queries
- Liaison with customers and/or suppliers where required
- Provide assistance to Project Managers and Team Leaders on project technical issues
- Assist with development of technical staff by mentoring and cross-training.
- Meet all contractual Turn-around-Times for contracted work
As the ideal applicant you will have:
- A relevant Engineering or Scientific Degree (preferably with honours or equivalent experience)
- Successfully completed a period of structured development
- Excellent communication skills to enable effective communication within the project team
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Self-motivation and a proactive approach to progressing all assigned tasks
Desirable (but not essential) skills:
- Laser safety qualifications.
- Experience with optical modelling packages (e.g. Zemax) and/or laser resonator modelling software.
- Experience with laser beam characterisation.
- Experience with alignment of complex optical systems.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Applications should be addressed to: Julie Lane, Recruitment Specialist.
Please ensure you attach a current resume and copy of your relevant qualification(s) to your application. A cover letter is preferred.
At BAE Systems, we have a strong safety, health and environmental culture; employee safety and well-being is a top priority. We also maintain a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion and to training and development, offer competitive benefits and enjoy a family friendly work place with flexible work practices.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
BAE Systems Australia employees are encouraged to refer others for employment in line with the conditions of the Employee Referral Scheme.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html