Naval Architect | VIC-Williamstown
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||07-Jun-2019|
- Apply your talent where it counts
- Use your naval architecture expertise to support maritime sustainment projects
- Enjoy flexibility, an innovation focus and interesting work within a strong team culture
At BAE Systems, our advanced technology protects people and national security and has kept critical Australian information and infrastructure secure for more than 65 years.
We employ a skilled workforce of more than 3,500 people at over 25 locations across the country. Our work helps keep Australia safe and contributes to creating a more prosperous and innovative nation.
As a member of the BAE Systems team, you'll enjoy a strong safety culture - employee safety and well-being is our top priority. We also maintain a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion and to training and development. We offer competitive benefits and enjoy a family friendly work place with flexible work practices coupled with a strong focus on innovation. Join us and apply your talent where it counts.
About the opportunity
An opportunity has arisen for a naval architect to join our engineering team. This challenging and rewarding position will be based at our office in Williamstown, Victoria and will be offered on a permanent and full time basis. You will be part of an inclusive and friendly multi discipline team along with a company that values innovative ideas and flexible work practices.
In more specific terms, you will:
- Derive naval architecture/mechanical related system requirements, define the test requirements and participate in system design and system requirements reviews
- Develop candidate solutions and undertake naval architecture/mechanical related system and equipment detailed design analysis to identify the optimum design for the defined system and equipment architecture
- Undertake the translation of the naval architecture/mechanical related system and equipment design into a manufacturable product and incorporate design for manufacture factors
- Support other areas of the business through performing stability assessments, docking/undocking calculations and provide general naval architectural advice
As the ideal applicant, you will have:
- Tertiary qualification in Naval Architecture and experience satisfying the requirements for membership of Engineers, Australia
- Prior naval architecture experience with experience in a variety of naval architectural design analysis techniques and development tools including ship stability, structural analysis, weight and moment control, docking/undocking calculations, inclining experiments and classification and statutory regulation
- Experience in platform system design and integration of a variety of shipboard mechanical systems, including but not limited to; HVAC, piping and outfit
- The ability to negotiate with and influence internal and external stakeholders in a way which generates business benefit whilst maintaining key relationships
- A self-starter with the ability to work autonomously and in a team environment
- Must be eligible to obtain a Defence security clearance and to be cleared for International Traffic In Arms (ITAR) regulations
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Chris Girling, Talent Acquisition Specialist
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders for these opportunities. An inclusive culture and an exciting, supportive career opportunity awaits.
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
BAE Systems Australia will never request money from you during the recruitment process. Please be aware of scam messages asking for money for an administration fee, visa or similar. If you receive such a message please report it to Scam Watch www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.
Job applications should only be submitted via the BAE Systems Australia website and not via email. If you receive an email from BAE Systems that does not utilise “@baesystems.com” as the domain, it is not legitimate. BAE Systems does not use gmail, aol, Hotmail or similar accounts.