Senior Mechanical Engineer - Auxiliary Systems | SA-Osborne Naval Shipyard
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||21-Feb-2023|
- All Systems GO! Be part of the next generation of defence technology
- Excellent opportunity for growth and career progression
- Enjoy flexibility, engaging work and a culture that embraces diversity and open-mindedness
At BAE Systems we are all systems go as we continue to drive innovation and seek passionate and talented people to join our business. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer within the Hunter Class project. This role can be based in Adelaide or Melbourne and is offered on a full time basis with the opportunity to work a 9 day fortnight (optional)
What this opportunity will mean for you:
- Purposeful work where your efforts are recognized in an environment where you can thrive
- Joining an organization that is passionate about developing some of the most impressive careers in the world
- Industry-leading flexibility options to unlock the talent and diversity of every individual
- Unique opportunities to contribute to programs of national significance whilst growing your skills
- A strong safety culture, inclusive teams and work to be proud of, underpinned by a compelling set of values
Your new role:
This role involves working with a passionate team of engineers to design Australia's most advanced ever warship. Day to day, you'll be involved in a wide range of tasks related to the design and development of ship systems and artefacts for the HCF program. A highly stakeholder oriented role, the ideal applicant will be passionate about engineering design, whilst comfortable operating in a high-tech digital environment. The role also involves supporting the purchase of major plant and equipment for the program, whilst engaging with an international team of colleagues, stakeholders and suppliers.
In particular, this role will see you:
- Own and develop complex mechanical system and equipment designs for the Hunter Class Frigate by converting functional, performance and product integrity requirements into real world outcomes.
- Undertake requirements analysis and participate in requirements reviews, design reviews and change management activities.
- Hold accountability for the integration of owned mechanical systems within the whole of ship design.
- Support mechanical system and equipment qualification activities to ensure that the product meets all requirements, including safety and regulatory.
- Provide technical oversight and input to major equipment procurement activities, including supplier technical liaison and management.
- Hold accountability for the on-time development of documents and artefacts generated within own sphere of responsibility.
- Investigate and resolve technical queries as required.
- Act as an interface between the project and customer organisations, providing accurate and timely briefs within areas of responsibility.
- Act as an engineering design point of contact for key stakeholders engaged in other areas of the product lifecycle and in other domain areas.
- Undertake ongoing professional development and pursue continuous improvement and learning from experience opportunities to contribute to the development of a sovereign ship design capability in Australia.
- Coach, mentor and assist others on matters pertaining to the mechanical engineering discipline area.
- Be self-motivated and take a proactive approach to progressing all assigned tasks. Work under limited supervision.
As an ideal applicant for this opportunity, you will have;
- Engineering degree qualification e.g. (Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Automotive or open to other disciplines).
- Ability to obtain membership of the Institute of Engineers Australia. Chartered Engineer status desirable.
- Demonstrated experience as a professional engineer in a Defence or maritime environment, or 5 years industry experience desirable.
- Experienced in developing engineering designs, participation in design reviews, undertaking typical design analyses and implementation of solutions, their integration, validation and qualification testing, within a structured framework.
- Exposure to fluid system design (Pipe Systems) highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with and managing stakeholders at various levels.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, in particular Microsoft Excel.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced and highly stakeholder oriented environment.
We work flexibly at BAE Systems. In support of our commitment to increase the diversity of our workforce, we will consider part time applications for this role. This includes weekly hours of 25 and above, and/or split shift patterns with some portion of the shift after 5pm to accommodate interactions with colleagues and industry partners Europe. If you wish to pursue a part time opportunity for this role, please mention this in your application and outline your preferred working pattern in a covering letter.
Research shows that some candidates hesitate to apply for roles if they feel they don't meet 100% of the criteria. So, if this opportunity excites you and you have the right foundational experience and qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Whether it be for this role or another, your skills and competencies are of interest to us.
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Further information regarding clearances is available at: https://careers.au.baesystems.com/opportunity.html
Applications should be addressed to: Sharryn Salkilld and made online here. Confidential enquiries are welcome via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that pursuant to different State government health directions, vaccination mandates regarding your ability to attend our Company sites may be applicable. Please be prepared to discuss your vaccination status with our recruiters as part of the recruitment process.
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment where our people can thrive. For us that means ensuring that the voices and talents of our employees are valued and that everyone has a sense of belonging. We do not tolerate discrimination because of differences, such as age, ability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, religion, or sexual orientation.
If you would like to know more information about how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://au.work180.co/employer/bae-systems/benefits
To learn about other employment opportunities at BAE Systems, please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au