Flight Test Engineer | VIC-Melbourne Bourke Street
|Position Type:||Permanent - Full Time|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||14-Dec-2023|
At BAE Systems Australia
Do interesting work that MATTERS
ENJOY what you do
GROW your career
We work in a thriving sector – one that puts us at the forefront of exciting and meaningful work. Every day we push boundaries to produce some of the world's most innovative and ground breaking technology. Individually we all contribute to our success. Collectively we make the impossible possible.
Recognised for delivering projects of global and national significance that help keep Australia safe, it is our shared passion that shapes our culture, and our people that make it a great place to work.
About the OPPORTUNITY
We have an exciting opportunity for a Flight Test Engineer to join our Red Ochre Autonomy and Sensors teams working on UAV STRIX Project.
We embrace flexible work arrangements at BAE Systems Australia, such as working a 9-day fortnight and/ or hybrid working.
The Flight Test Engineering role is responsible for leading the technical aspects of planning and executing ground and flight test related activities of an experimental, novel UAS platform. The role requires coordination with internal customers, subcontractors, and cross-functional team members.
FTEs will generally build familiarity with all testing disciplines as well as become knowledgeable with the design and operation of the aircraft which they are assigned to.
FTEs are expected to be fast learners, and be comfortable with operating in a dynamic, flexible and technically challenging environment, with high levels of autonomy and responsibility.
Key responsibilities include:
Duties include test planning, readiness, execution and reporting, including but not exclusive to the following:
- Act as Test Director for ground and flight tests.
- Operate all experimental provisions and mission specific test instrumentation, while conducting tests and recording results.
- Develop test documentation and reports, including technical reviews, test plans, instructions, test limitations and post flight reports
- Coordinate test aircraft and experimental equipment configurations for test.
- Design and develop safety critical real time data displays and derived parameters
- Develop and publish Integrated Test Plans, detailed test plans, test schedules, and test procedures for developmental testing.
- Provide laboratory support for integration testing.
- Coordinate with subcontractors and other team members to ensure flight test objectives are met in a safe and efficient manner.
- Review and evaluate test requirements to ensure completeness of the test program.
- Support test readiness reviews, and pre/post-test briefings.
- Conduct and contribute to pre and post-test data analyses to support anomaly identification and resolution.
- Comply with published test safety plans and standard operating procedures.
- Evaluate results from flight activities and incorporate "lessons learned" into future test activities.
- Plan, maintain and coordinate configuration of test assets.
- Ensure proper use of safety and risk mitigation procedures as defined by company policies, and compliance with CASA Regulations
The role requires the individual to possess outstanding written and oral communication skills. The individual will be required to serve as either a principal subject matter focal point between maintenance, design engineering, and the test site team (inclusive of any subcontractors).
The individual must be able to work under general direction to determine and develop approaches to solutions; must be able to work both within a team environment and independently; must be self-motivated, thorough and detailed.
Qualifications Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field.
- Qualification from recognised test pilot school (ETPS, EPNER, USNTPS and USAFTPS) or equivalent course
- 5+ years of Flight Test Experience
- Strong understanding of aircraft systems and flight dynamics.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to build and maintain effective relationships in a team environment.
- Must be willing to travel domestically for Flight Test activities in remote locations
- Familiar with UAS flight operations.
- Familiar with CASA regulations, approvals, processes, and experimental certificates.
- Experience with electric and hybrid propulsion systems
- Experience in MATLAB.
- Having a Pilot or Remote Pilot License.
We believe in hiring for potential, we know that some candidate hesitate if they don't tick all the boxes. If this role interests you, but you don't meet all the criteria, we still encourage you to apply.
You will joining a workplace that truly cares about your wellbeing.
Our people are diverse and we value the variety of perspectives this brings, we know that a culture that is inclusive and fosters a sense of belonging is a place we can all make the most of our unique talents and be our best.
As Australia's largest defence company in a rapidly growing sector, you will be connected into a global team and encouraged to explore where your career might take you whether that is a traditional career path or squiggly one, there are infinite possibilities for you at BAE Systems Australia.
We welcome applicants from all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, pregnancy, age, or other lived experience; and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for all positions.
We are proud to be recognised as an employer of choice for women by WORK180.
As a member of the Circle Back Initiative we commit to respond to every applicant
To learn more about our competitive employee benefits, flexibility, other employment opportunities and what to expect from our recruitment process please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
As a Defence security clearance NV1 required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and either possess or be eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearances.