Mechanical Designer - Draftsperson | SA-Osborne Naval Shipyard
|Category:||Draftsperson & Designer|
|Position Type:||Permanent - Full Time|
|Attachments:||No File Attached|
|Application Close Date:||12-Dec-2023|
At BAE Systems Australia
Do interesting work that MATTERS
ENJOY what you do
GROW your career
We work in a thriving sector – one that puts us at the forefront of exciting and meaningful work. Every day we push boundaries to produce some of the world's most innovative and ground breaking technology. Individually we all contribute to our success. Collectively we make the impossible possible.
Recognised for delivering projects of global and national significance that help keep Australia safe, it is our shared passion that shapes our culture, and our people that make it a great place to work.
About the OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting new opportunity as a Mechanical Designer - Draftsperson within our Hunter Class Project delivering assistance with the manufacturing of the ship focussing on Jigs and Fixtures supporting construction.
This position is based at the Shipbuilding Yard in Osborne, South Australia.
You will be responsible for the provision of professional design and detail drafting services that are accurate, safe, on time and on budget.
You will further provide drafting services and technical support for the development or modification of ship equipment, systems or materials and act as a technical liaison with Production personnel and equipment suppliers.
Key responsibilities include:
- Complete technical drafting/ design activities within the Production Design team using 2D (AutoCAD) & 3D CAD (Solidworks) software. Develop manufacturing drawings at a component, assembly and installation level that cover all client and customer requirements.
- Creation of supporting documents associated to these drawings such as parts lists for use in advanced bill of materials.
- Actively identify and meet internal and external customer needs and expectations, through consultation and reporting of progress
- Ensure technical competence to enable the provision of professional design and detail drafting services
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with appropriate Engineering, Drafting and Quality Management System standards
- Manage own time in order to meet deadlines without compromising quality and/or cost
- Effectively communicate both verbally and in written form with all stakeholder groups, raising issues to relevant stakeholder(s) in an objective, professional and timely manner
- Prepare and maintain accurate technical documents, records and reports in accordance with function and project requirements
- Participate in meetings, sharing knowledge with the team
- Identify and investigate problems and formulate appropriate strategies to apply the best solution
- Actively participate in problem solving teams, contributing to the improvement of technical systems and process, in areas of specialisation
- Ensure continuous improvement of personal technical capability to provide high quality input by maintaining knowledge and awareness of related technologies and standards through establishing internal and external networks
- Drafting qualification such as Technical Certificate Qualification in Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- Demonstrate experience as a draftsperson, preferably within Naval/Maritime, Defence or Allied Industry
- Experience in resolving technical issues in a design and manufacturing environment
- Good understanding of relevant technical drawing standard AS1100
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working on AutoCAD/SolidWorks/Creo packages
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively without supervision
- Recent engineering graduates are encouraged to apply
- Hold Eligibility for Australian Defence Security Clearance
We believe in hiring for potential, we know that some candidate hesitate if they don't tick all the boxes. If this role interests you, but you don't meet all the criteria, we still encourage you to apply.
You will joining a workplace that truly cares about your wellbeing.
Our people are diverse and we value the variety of perspectives this brings, we know that a culture that is inclusive and fosters a sense of belonging is a place we can all make the most of our unique talents and be our best.
As Australia's largest defence company in a rapidly growing sector, you will be connected into a global team and encouraged to explore where your career might take you whether that is a traditional career path or squiggly one, there are infinite possibilities for you at BAE Systems Australia.
We welcome applicants from all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, pregnancy, age, or other lived experience; and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for all positions.
We are proud to be recognised as an employer of choice for women by WORK180.
As a member of the Circle Back Initiative we commit to respond to every applicant
To learn more about our competitive employee benefits, flexibility, other employment opportunities and what to expect from our recruitment process please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
As a Defence security clearance may be required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and either possess or be eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearances.