Safety Engineer | VIC-Richmond
|Permanent - Full Time
|No File Attached
|Application Close Date:
At BAE Systems Australia
- Do interesting work that MATTERS
- ENJOY what you do
- GROW your career
- Be YOU
We work in a thriving sector – one that places us at the forefront of exciting and meaningful work. Every day we push boundaries to produce some of the world's most innovative and ground breaking technology. Individually we all contribute to our success. Collectively we make the impossible possible.
Recognised for delivering projects of global and national significance that help keep Australia safe, it is our shared passion that shapes our culture, and our people that make it a great place to work.
About the OPPORTUNITY
We have an exciting opportunity for a Safety Engineer to join the Nulka Program. Reporting to the Safety Engineering Lead, you will be part of inclusive and supportive teams, and will be employed on a permanent and full time basis. Our Richmond, Melbourne office is easily accessible by public transport, has free undercover parking and is close to other facilities.
We embrace flexible work arrangements at BAE Systems Australia including working a 9-day fortnight.
Key responsibilities include:
- Undertake safety engineering (Safety In Design/System Safety/Product Safety) activities, i.e. management of hazards: identification, assessment and mitigation of hazards
- Develop and update safety engineering artefacts including system safety program plans, hazard analysis reports, hazard logs and safety case reports to ensure risks are reduced So Far As Is Reasonably Practicable (SFAIRP)
- Act as point of contact and provide technical advice on safety engineering activities and safety engineering methodologies performed
- Collaborate effectively with customers, subcontractors and internal stakeholders, maintaining a positive culture within the Nulka program
- Support the delivery of safety engineering solutions and provide recommendations for using safety engineering methodology
- Participate in the identification, preparation and review of problem reports, variances (waivers and deviations) and engineering changes to assess potential safety impacts
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge to continuously improve safety engineering practices
- Demonstrated safety engineering experience or engineering experience with knowledge of safety engineering
- Tertiary engineering degree (mechanical, aerospace, mechatronics, electronic and/or electrical engineering, or software) degree qualified to satisfy the requirements for membership of the Institute of Engineers Australia
- Knowledge of the engineering systems development lifecycle and good critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective relationships in a large team environment and with customers
- Self-starter, good time management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Whilst not essential, experience utilising the DOORS engineering system application and toolset, will be highly regarded
We believe in hiring for potential, we know that some candidates hesitate if they don't tick all the boxes. If this role interests you, but you don't meet all the criteria, we still encourage you to apply.
You will be joining a workplace that truly cares about your wellbeing.
Our people are diverse and we value the variety of perspectives this brings, we know that a culture that is inclusive and fosters a sense of belonging is a place where we can all make the most of our unique talents and be our best.
As Australia's largest defence company in a rapidly growing sector, you will be connected into a global team and encouraged to explore where your career might take you whether that is a traditional career path or squiggly one, there are infinite possibilities for you at BAE Systems Australia.
We welcome applicants from all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, pregnancy, age, or other lived experience; and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for all positions.
We are proud to be recognised as an employer of choice for women by WORK180.
As a member of the Circle Back Initiative we commit to respond to every applicant
To learn more about our competitive employee benefits, flexibility, other employment opportunities and what to expect from our recruitment process please visit: www.baesystemscareers.com.au
As a Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and either possess or be eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearances.